March 17, 2011

Spring Break Update

It has been a great week so far. Although I have finals week looming over my head, this Spring Break has been a nice preview of what is to come for the summer. I've made some great progress on Skybrawler over the past few days, and I was finally able to implement moving platforms! Although I opted not to go the traditional route of simple platforms that move; instead, when Captain Moore needs to traverse long distances above treacherous bottomless pits of death, he rides on the heads of lazy, flying creatures.

Pick up the pace, Flappy McFlat-Head!
I'll get these suckers into the Creatures page in due time. I also started work on the first Overlook Plateau level, which revealed a large number of things that I needed to work on right now. Since January, I've been focusing on pumping out a large amount of content that I can show on the Blog. But as I started work on this first level, a number of things jumped out at me that needed attention right away.

As a result, here is some of the stuff I've implemented over the past couple days:

  • Some new terrain for the Overlook Plateau levels.
  • New buildings for the Stonefangs.
  • The first Overlook Plateau level is fully designed and nearly complete.
  • The "objectives list" feature has been condensed into a single "active objective" which is now always displayed at the top left of the screen.
  • Enemies now have their names over their heads. When they take damage, their health bar appears right beneath their name.
  • Friendly NPCs also now have their names over their heads (but in green).
  • I have nearly finished implementing an expandable human base, which will be used as the foundation of Jamestown. I don't want to reveal too much about it here; I'd rather have people see it in action in-game.
  • And, of course, several bug fixes.
Unfortunately, all of this has caused me to neglect my law school outlining. My brain finally got revenge on me by giving me nightmares last night in which I kept screwing up my class assignments. Okay, okay, I get the hint! Time to work on "important" matters. The game can wait (a day or two).

No comments:

Post a Comment